Sunday, September 19, 2010

Extra Credit: Jennifer E. Price

This past Tuesday I was able to attend Jennifer E. Price's presentation and lecturer, an artist in the United Kingdom who's work primarily focuses on printmaking. I actually met Jennifer at the Intergraphica club and talked to her about what is printmaking? As I had no clue to what it was or its purposes. This presentation that she gave was very insightful and helpful to all artists. I always worried about after getting a degree and being thrown into the real world, how it'll feel or be like? She explained her journey of overcoming obstacles, such as facing rejection in the challenging art world, to her near death experience and to simply coordinating her own exhibition despite having a horrible cold.

Though she was a great artist and very passionate about what she does, it was the fact she was real. She was a heavy drinker in her college days, suffered from multiple personality disorder and like every other person in this world, she had to face every day life with the struggle with little or no money. She worked and faced all these obstacles to finally get to where she is now. Its amazing how one grows. I can't forget when she mentioned that she nearly faced death and thought to herself that she couldn't die because she didn't do anything to be remembered for. Strange how she felt exactly the same way I feel. It not only motivates me but pushes me more to strive for being better and by doing something I love and hoping to be remembered for something great.

No comments:

Post a Comment