Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Update: Identity Project

My Identity Thesis Project I have decided to use only paper. The background is in newspaper, I will be creating an embroidery from my Hmong culture background and within that is a maze. Surrounding the sign is collages of feminists things such as Tampon labels, or food label ingredients because in life, there are a lot of things that makeup who we are. I chose paper as a form because growing up, it was known in my tradition that "Females" were less valued and they're not powerful or that they're not worth anything. And that relates to paper because though money is made from paper, just regular paper isn't worth anything or valued for.


I'll be sure to update this post with photos this weekend!

UPDATE:

Instead of doing the maze and collages of backgrounds, I was going to draw 3 figures that look like male, they're dressed in suits but have their heads covered with the embroidery of my culture on it so it covers the faces. I am going to use 18x24 drawing paper, the background would be pink to symbolize being a female. Somewhere on the paper would be the words, "Accept me now" with a huge question mark behind the words. I'm using pencil to draw out the 3 figures because unlike pens or markers, they don't leave a permanent mark, signifying that in this world, females aren't expected to leave any mark behind, though there are traces even when being erased. I know this is a big last minute change but the more I thought on my project, more and more ideas started coming. Its crazy!



UPDATE End Result:


 


I noticed I changed the way I wanted to do my Identity Project quite a few times. In the end I didn't add the words because I wanted the project to speak for itself instead of adding words to it. Overall, I thought I did good for the first project. Not only that but the class I thought did wonderful. I feel this project really opened all of us up to each other and created that comfort in the class. Also I'm glad this project gave us all the chance to share a part of ourselves and a part of our lives together even though quite a lot of them were deeply personal. 


2 comments:

  1. Touchpoints? Why are you starting with materials... start with your metaphor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see your research now.

    Remember to post your Project idea on your blog. I know you have emailed it to me, just re-write the final idea that you are settling on. The project notes in your blog document how you began with a maze and ended with embroidery.

    Good luck -

    ReplyDelete